Thursday, December 4, 2008

Quiet Study

For a moment this afternoon, I forgot I was in the library writing two essays that I need to finish tonight. People were shuffling in and out of the room, moving tables and chairs, yelling, laughing, saying hi to friends. This is life in the study lounges of Chilean universities...

But in all seriousness, everything is so much louder here in Chile. My nights are dominated by the sounds of nervous neighborhood dogs barking (here in Chile dogs sleep all day). Most days I wake up to the loudest and most obnoxious bird call in existence... the call of the queltehue. If I'm lucky, a neighbor's insanely loud burglar alarm is also going off (while crime rates are relatively low here, people are obsessed about protecting their home with fences and security systems. 99% of the alarms that go off are caused by somebody opening a door before deactivating the alarm...).

Life at the university is extremely loud. Not just in the study lounges. In my climatology class, I always have to sit in the first row if I want to get a chance to hear the professor, the other 80 people in the class are busy chatting with their friends. With no air conditioning, windows in Chile are always open, so you might be trying to enjoy a nice discussion on Argentinian history while some guy with a leafblower drops by.

It keeps life fun and interesting, but it'll be nice to come back to a slightly quieter world.

No comments:

Post a Comment